Live After Quit

“Rescuers Dig Deeper After a Week of Frantic Efforts in India Tunnel Collapse

Rescuers frantically tackling the rescue operations onsite of a tunnel collapse in India have gone through a major change in their approach as the operations pass the one week mark. The collapse occurred on December 25th in Pir Chinasi region of Jammu & Kashmir. The incident stuck over 30 people inside the tunnel who were constructing it at the time. The rescue team comprised of personnel from the State Disaster Response Force, the National Disaster Response Force, and the Indian Army. Initially, the rescue team used a combination of bulldozers, concrete cutters, and other advanced machinery to cut through the 65 feet high debris pile and reach the workers. However, due to the difficulties of accessing the trapped workers, the rescuers have been forced to switch their strategy. They are now using large cranes to move the debris in a strategic manner so that the personnel trapped under the debris can be accessed. Once a larger area is freed up, the army personnel along with medical and paramedical staff can enter the region to provide medical assistance to the personnel trapped inside. The rescue team is also using special tech machines to help scan the area and look for survivors. With temperatures reaching as low as minus 4 degrees Celsius, the rescue efforts remain a sombre attempt as the chances of survivors found alive decline with every hour that passes. Hopes of finding more survivors still remain as rescuers toil day and night to attempt to reach the personnel stuck under the rubble. However, with multiple people from different agencies contributing to the rescue operations, the challenges remain great and an outcome is yet to be determined. It has been a full week since the tragedy occurred and the rescue team continues to strive in search of the personnel inside the tunnel. As the rescue teams take a new approach and employ a new strategy to the rescue mission, their efforts remain relentless.